Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Confused Anil


A time comes in life of every professional, more so in recent times, when he think, he need to change. He needs to do something different, something out of the boring work.
Something which can give him another lease of life. Something which gives him new challenges to look forward to.




Now, here is my case, working as a typical software engineer. I have been working in IT industry for ages (that’s what I feel :( ), so I have been with the same project, the same client and the same team and have been doing the same work for years now.

I feel I should change, but change what? I have so many options. I can change the project. I can change the client itself. I can change the location (Bangalore). I can change the company or the best I can change the industry itself. Now I am interested in two of the above, changing the location and secondly changing the industry. But am again perplexed about the latter one. If I change the industry, then what should I do? The most obvious choice is an MBA. Now the question comes, if I need to do an MBA, from where should I do it? Again the most obvious choice comes, take the CAT and get into the IIMs. But given the probability involved with getting into IIM and the amount of effort required, it seems a little distant. The other options are ISB or MBA from Stanford or Carnige Mellon or likes. But for getting into these elite foreign colleges, I need a very strong profile, which includes a very good GMAT score. Getting into ISB is easier but I am not very keen on it, for it has some negative news surrounding it.

Anyways the main point is getting out of IT industry. Yes, but when, frankly don't know!!!

But I am giving serious thoughts to it and will make some stand in a couple of months. But right now, Anil is totally confused. I hope some of you guided souls; provide me some help in sorting this puzzle of my life.

-ATG

16 Comments:

Blogger Thanu said...

Grass is alwaz greener on the other side. I wud say changing industry is a huge decision and one shud know what one is getting into and shud be 100% sure that is what he//she needs.

Whatever u decide, good luck.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Tarni said...

Humm...
Well i agree to what Thanu said... the things not in our reach would always tickle your mind!
Not that you cant change the industry but how fruitful that be?
I mean perhaps you would be learning many more things but again how long will it take for you be set and believe me by the time you reach the point where you think that yes i know everything... you would be fed of being there also!
haha
thats the vicious circle... no way to get out of it!
but still think... a few options you had for yourself... I think those will work better! ;)

Regards
Tarni

5:01 PM  
Blogger कर्तव्य राय said...

I feel that you should utilise your stay at State in a best possible way.Better for you to prepare for GMAT.Apply there for MBA and take study leave from the Co. and If not then leave the Co. and restart your Bachelor college life again at US.Remember GMAT scores are accepted in IIM's and ISB.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Scoot said...

oh hmmm am in a similar situation myself and feel so stuck.all you have to do is write down the negatives and positives of what is happening with you right now in your current job situation.and then do the same with the new line you are trying to get into.weigh their worth and be true to yourself so you know you don't tumble down the way somewhere.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

PS: I am not chasing something for just the general curosity of the human mind, I am looking for development in my professional life. Now, I have options here, either go for MBA or MS. Given that I am much keen on going for a mba type job profiel, rather than a geeky one.

4:26 PM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Hi !

Welcome back

12:34 AM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

yes ... the stuff abt the grass is true ...

wven i've felt i should quit and do what i want to do .. but the risk factor is too great ...

hmmm ....

12:35 AM  
Blogger SeePearrl said...

Believe me I was stuck at the same point..but once you figure out what you want and why you want it..everything is going to be clear and will motivate you.

But to get there is very difficult.
I am sure you will find out what you want very soon just as I did

12:42 AM  
Blogger Kusum Rohra said...

Same thought process going on here too :(

4:45 AM  
Blogger Nishu said...

Voila!! All software enggs think alike!! Probably same kind of optimization is working in the background.( I've seriously very strict programmers vocab)

GMAT/CAT means changing ur line of profession!! It means wasting up ur whole exp!!

People always do changes in life and become according to it.
Firstly they have BE in branch(say EC, mech, etc) which may not be of their interest, then they go for software jobs which are different from their branch..wasting 4 yrs work!! and sometimes they even do MS before joining soft company. and after having 2-3 yrs of exp in soft,
they opt for mangmnt or IAS!!

No satisfaction buddy!

Money matters and apart from that ur "interest" and "capability/expertise" matters!! Think upon it and then take any step.

Best of luck!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Vaikunth said...

If one confused guy can help you can count on me :)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anil:

PJ has one thing to say, change and change fast. You would have made contacts in the industry and now is the time to use them. This is not a quickie decision and hence be very careful in changing your job profile.

Chew over the offers that come your way but dont jump over!

PJ

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anil The Psycho:

Now the convent, private but expensive school and finally private engineering college educated dud is harbouring dreams of MBA. But will u r profile say then? And what when u get married? and what when u have children?

1:54 AM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

anonymous :

You seem to be a real good well-wisher of mine, thinking about my marriage and children. So, may I be fortunate enough to know your name :)

-ATG

10:26 AM  
Blogger alice said...

dont u just anony's....useless ppl...
whatever u decide to do man...good luck with that...

8:16 AM  
Blogger silverine said...

The new profile picture looks 'sauve' :)
Why don't you take a break from work and then think about it. Maybe you desperately need a break from work. Changing careers midstream and starting all over again is not such a bright idea. Take care.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home