Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The alphabet "M" !!

Today while chatting with a blog friend, I recalled my childhood days and the studies.

It was the result of my class 1st IInd term and when my parents came to collect the report card, they were shocked to see that I had failed. Neither my elder brother nor sister had given them such shock. So, they asked the teacher to show them my answer sheet and they found that I failed by 5 marks. They don’t remember all the questions but they do remember a set of questions. The question was to name something which starts with that alphabet and the question which I didn’t answer were "J","M","Q","Y". I still laugh thinking I couldn’t answer this simple question. But back then, my parents were not laughing but were seriously worried about my future. Somebody failing in class 1st itself, what bleak future he would hold.

I never liked to study ( I know many of you belonged to my category), my only passion in life was to play football. So if we get a free period, you know where I would be. In dilli ki garmi, I would be happy, merrily playing in the football ground. My face would be red as lal tamatar and all my clothes soiled and sometimes my nikaar would be torn. And reaching home, I would get all scolding, my mom would have preserved from the morning. She would scold me to death and I would make sure she feels happy that her message is well received so that I have rest of my day in peace. So my evenings would go in playing football again. I don’t recall when I did my homework; well probably it was a trivial thing to remember. But hell would break loose during my exams. I was someone who thought that Maradona and Pele were illiterate fellows and that was their USP. So, I was not interested in studies, but given that parents can really strangle you to death if they wish to, so I would keep books in front of my face. Now it was covering my face not my eyes.* chuckle* , So I would fix my eyes on the clouds and if I happen to find that the clouds are moving, I would give an expression almost close to "Eureka" . And would keep watching the clouds pass by, sometimes even waving my hands to the clouds. My next interesting thing in sky was the birds. I would always wonder why bird would fly in a peculiar fashion resembling the way the arrow was multiplied in the epic mahabharata. It was only a decade later I found the scientific reason. Then next interesting thing in the sky was airplane, well it was not very interesting as it was small (appeared) and very distant. But still since it would either leave a big gush of smoke making a big bold line in the sky or it would make some thundering noise or it would blink its eyes( lights glowing). Well they were my best buddies in the night since they were blinking all lovely colors.

Now coming down to earth, I was in love with the ants (chinti). Oh I would watch the chini go from one post to another 4 meters in length, so you can guess my love for them.
I would follow them to their holes and would keep looking at their big family. You know, every ant when it crosses the other always kisses or hugs each other before departing. I would get really sentimental looking at this and sometimes I would bring the two ants together but guess they would get confused and would not even meet each other. I have spend so much time chasing (following, should I say) that if I would have spend so much time chasing girls in my school, I would either have become a playboy or a convicted psycho girl stalker.

But the problem was that my mom would always spot me doing everything other than studies and would give me a nice scolding and sometimes even threatening to skip my lunch, then "bhooka kya naa karta", I would start reading aloud whatever I was supposed to study, even if it was mathematics.

But the horror show would start in the night, when my dad would come. Now he would come late at home and given that my exam was scheduled the next day so like a responsible father he would take my books and would check to see if I know well for the exam. Now I know of birds, of clouds, of airplanes or the hideouts of ants but books?? So when he would ask question, I would be either dumbstruck or would blabber something softly. Now given that the next day is my exam and I don’t even know the basics, my dad would definitely get furious and would lash a "One tight slap" and his slap was, OMG, no less than a policewala's haath. I would first loose my senses at such a tight slap then would start weeping in fits and tears rolling down my cheeks. Now I was not hurt emotionally or other, I was just hurt physically, for I got habitual to this ritual for last 2 years. So then I would study (cram) while weeping and somehow things would go into my head too. Now its not that my dad was too harsh, he would confess how bad he felt hitting me, to my mom in night , but given his helpless state and my non serious attitude to studies and his non inclination to get me some tuitions classes( I am thankful for that , seriosuly), he would become a little angry and that was it. Now the best part was that more than myself, my brother and my sister would panicked by me getting slaps from my dad for they sensed the anger and would worry if for some reason they might get a taste of my dad's anger. They would request me to study in the day but to no use. It continued till class 6th, when my dad got transferred and he left my future in my own hands.

Now coming to the subjects in higher studies, I never liked anything except Mathematics. It was a challenge finding what was 139 * 976 was!!. But I never liked history. Expecting remembering of dates of events of centuries back from a child who was less than a decade old, did not look like a reasonable logic. Also, I could never remember (not even now) as to who among - Aurengzeb, Humayun and Shah Jahan ,was father of whom. As for geography, I really didn’t understand sala kaun sa mountain kahan hai, mujhay kya pata , main koi sadhuu hoon kya ??. As for chemistry, I liked it for a simple reason because the teacher was really nice and sweet. Physics was another disaster for me. I remember how I could not light a bulb using battery, in my practical exam. Drawing was the most dreaded class for me, because my drawing made no difference between humans and monkeys leaving the tail part. Thanks to the oh-so-sweet girls, who would do drawing for me and that too without any chocolates or candies( unbelievable isnt). Now the turn for the big monsters, English and Hindi. English was only good to the extend that it had lovely stories ( Gulmohar Trees was the book name, I guess) and I would have read those stories in the weekend when I purchased those books. So I was never interested in knowing what was past participle and what a complex sentence was. I would fix my gaze on my watch to see when the torture would end. Hindi was a little better because it had some good poems and dohas involved in it. I thoroughly enjoyed Madhushala and a few other poems and loved kabir key dohey. But beyond that, the fun ended. Hindi was so complicated language, the big and small matras,the dots at the bottom of the alphabets etc and worst of it the Jeevanis of Maha Devi Verma and the likes. So, my only subject of interest was Maths in which I scored highest marks and in most of the other subjects I was always a border line case.But in class 8th I got serious in studies(girl's effect :))) and was doing fairly well in class 9th and was among top 10 in class 10th Ist term, top 5 in IInd term and remained that way till my pre-board. Oh , I was the topper among boys, BTW. Then in board exams I did fairly well and secured 80.4%, now that wasnt that bad for a person like me, isn't!!


I recall today with smile how I have hated so many subjects which were not that tough if I look back today but back then, they were tougher than committing suicide, at least that’s what I thought. But I still couldn’t believe that I could not find a single word on this earth starting with "M” in class 1st exam !!

24 Comments:

Blogger Kusum Rohra said...

Gosh it seems like my brother taking abt his present :)

Only thing is instead of mom its me yelling at him all the time and instead of dad its my slap he gets during exams :)

11:12 PM  
Blogger Thanu said...

Life is so simple when we are kids...

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was laughing so much, while reading all this.But one thing is clear, you are not burn out, that's why you can study even today, if you want to. Kids who study too much tend to burn out soon or as an adult.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

@kusum : now you know why got angry when you called your brother "dumb" (he he !!)

@thanu : pata nahin, when I was kid , I used to think life was so simple for my father or mother, no homework, no tests no kneel down punishment. Hamesha confusion rahegaa when was life simple :)

@alka :tussi hans rahee ho, assi bhi has rahey they likhtay likhtay, par bachpan mein toh apni watt lagee hui thee. As for burnout , very true , too much study in childhood kills your zeal to study, par samasyaa yeh hai ki, hum nikamoo ko padhnay ki ichaa he nahin hoti ab :))

8:21 AM  
Blogger My ID not me said...

Hey have met before.. which gallis did u play football in? May be we've brushed sides ..coz there's too much to be incidental btwn us.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Tarni said...

hey a great write...
"I don’t recall when I did my homework"
hahaha thats great do you recall being punished for not doing homework???
and ofcourse.... "Now the best part was that more than myself, my brother and my sister would panicked by me getting slaps from my dad for they sensed the anger and would worry if for some reason they might get a taste of my dad's anger" i hope that would give you pleasure... i used to have a lot of fun when because of my mistake my brother would get scolding.... and later i would go to him and say "hey kid you are kid na thats why mom dad scold you grow up" and now he is 6 feet giant... and i am scared of him :P
Arreeee geography to humesha great ho rahi... though i was good it but "sala kaun sa mountain kahan hai, mujhay kya pata , main koi sadhuu hoon kya ??. " suited the best....
hey "Madhushala" is one of my fav poem by Shri.Harivansh Rai Bachan Ji...even today when i am sad it gives me the way....
Hey thats was a great write!
Good to know the memories last!!

Regards
Tarni

9:16 AM  
Blogger Praveen R. said...

hmmm...come to think of it..life back then was soo much simple..all u have to do is just study and no worries about the rest of the world...i so wanna be a kid again...so that i can afford to play the whole day long....

by the way, i still hate studying!!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Vaikunth said...

Funny and nicely written dude.
Keep the good work going.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Vamsee said...

Anil urf laal tamatar ;) - this is a very interesting post that took me back to the lane of my childhood and yes watching Chinti used to be my fav passtime too:) I HATE STUDYING 'n I cant stand bookworms!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

@my id: this world is really small, maybe we would ahve played football in the same team or as opposing teams :D.
Wow, great to see that we have similarities, were we close buddies lost in some kumbh ka melaa :))

@tarni : oye sakshi tunay toh puray post ka post martem kar dala , thanx dear.

@praveen : i love to be a kid to, and can even do the homework properly and all the tests , but plz plz God, let me be a kid again :((

@vaik : thx sir, your blessing my keyboard:)

@vamsee : wow that was indeed my fav comment, finally I found in this world one more person who loved watching chiti. Wow we guys study and do Post Graduation even while hating studies all the time, we are just genius :))



PS: I wrote this post, which I wanted to write for a long time but felt a little ackward as to disclosing my childhood idiotic incidences but then I thought , what the heck, this is my blog and lemme write what I want to .
Now I see there are ppl who have done similar stupidities and were just as naughty as I was.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Tarni said...

hahaha
I was even naughtier than you...
would come up with my post of all the stupid things i used to do very soon...
Just wait and watch... :P

Regards
Tarni

12:59 PM  
Blogger Harashita R. R. Bajaj said...

hey guess most of us hated studies, but u see if it were not our parents we wont have been wat we are today.....nyways nice post reminded me of my childhood

9:49 PM  
Blogger tulipspeaks said...

26 and i'm still studying.. of course in a narrower scope compared to previously in school, where we need to study about everything under the sun :(..

but those were the days when i wasn't bothered studying 11 subjects in a year! i enjoyed myself..

=am000nie=

11:38 PM  
Blogger kumarldh said...

SOB SOB,
Koi lauta de mere bachpan ke din...
I have a very bad handwriting and my dad tried every trick of the trade to make sure my handwriting atleast imporves if I cant write well. He used laat, ghoonsa, chappal, chaped and everything else but I knew I will be using PCs. I loved Physics and Maths was ok rest of the subjects were so so.
Liked u post. Made me nostalgic...

2:17 AM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Whew !!! This was some post ...
FYI , i still watch ants and birds ......

i failed in a language paper in my 1st std too :) i hated that language , u see :)

read ur previous post too ....

see ya :)

8:21 PM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

pls disable word verification , if u dont mind .... i cant post comments from home bcoz of this

8:21 PM  
Blogger Shikha said...

every ant when it crosses the other always kisses or hugs each other before departing.:))that was cute..
i was the epitome of studiousness when i was small:))rankholder all the time..but i am sure my younger sis can identify with ur post:)

9:12 PM  
Blogger Emotions said...

Really a nice post !! made me remind of each n every day of my childhood ven i used to get punishments....beatings....at school n even from my mom for not studying n not completing my homework or classwork even......u really made me laugh.....n even fill my eyes wid little tears by making me cherrishing those beautiful memories of being a naughty child always...

all d bst !!
keep writing n keep smiling :-)

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love for ants! that was weird :p

7:48 AM  
Blogger SeePearrl said...

SO very true..Life is so simple when we are kids and so many exp that makes us laugh after we grow up!

Good One :)

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true....I was reminded of my own time as a child !

I used to try and warm my face with the light bulb to pretend I had fever...sp that i wouldnt have to give the math exam!!!

LOL

3:41 PM  
Blogger jedi said...

Awesome post.. I took a trip back my own memory lane.True. Those were the days.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

@tarni : I shall be waiting for yours :)

@harshita :true, i feel so bad how much I hated my dad for making me study in nights :))

@amutha : well we keep studying either as a full time course or in our profession. Its a great feeling to learn something new, only I wish I had such feeling before.

@KC : haha !! my parents also tried hard to improve my hand writing, little did they know that after a decade , my hands will not be writing much , it be be taken over by Keyboard, who writes pretty nicely :)

@deepa : so another person to join the club, "ants and birds". I watch them even now, mostly ants, but miss it here in america , as we dont have ants at home here :))

@shikah : you were guys who made our life miserable by being compared by our parents with us , just kidding, there has to be a balance right...

@emotions : I had similar feelings when I was writing this post, emotions(ur blog name is also emotions) run high when you go down the memory lane.

@gg : ofcourse it was wierd, but then children do all wierd things, isnt ??

@wf : ya eat play and sleep , no place for anything else...

@chandni : wow that was new, I wish I knew of this trick of warming your face, alas I didnt meet you in my childhood :))

@jedi : well its always a nice feeling when taking trip back , isnt !!

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!! Dont worry about it Anil, it never worked ;o)

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home