Friday, January 13, 2006

Time for celebration !!

Open the champagne, its time for celebrations!!

Occasion, I have completed three rocking years in Infosys. Yes, my dear, it was my first job and I have keep it going for three solid years. In times of today, three years seems to be a very long time in a single company. But those eras, things were different, when we joined.

Lemme try going down the memory lane. It was 20th Nov; I got a call from Infosys, for a written test. On 1st Dec was my written test and on 2nd Dec was my interview. Then on 16th Dec I got a mail from C&B congratulating my confirmation in Infosys. On 28th Dec I got my deputation letter. On 13th Jan was my Date on joining Infosys.
Oh BTW, I was the first guy from my college to secure a job in a real good firm.

I was to leave for Infosys, Mysore for my training. This was the first time, I was traveling to south , except on a small trip to Chennai with family. So, it was the good old Karnataka Exp, starting at 9:15pm from New Delhi. Days and nights passed, but Bangalore did not come, finally after 48 hours , I was in Bangalore. It was afternoon around 3:00pm and I was loaded with luggage. Now I was to go to Mysore and didn’t know the direction, so I enquired a few people and finally got into the bus for Mysore. It was a 2 hours trip, converted in 4 hours, courtesy private bus operators. I reached Mysore by around 7pm, and it was dead dark, given it was January month. Now, I had a tough task ahead. I tried asking people where was Hootagalli, but nobody gave me a satisfactory answer. I had forgotten to take the number of Infosys, so could not call them. I was really tired and angry on Infosys, for making DC (development center) in a place so unknown. Somewhere from the blues, a person came and said, he was going towards Hootagalli and asked me to join him. I chatted with him, trying to gauge the mood of the people in south. I still remembered what I asked him then, " aray bhaiya , log jayalalitha ko itni izzat kyin detay hain, jabki usnay abhi itnay ghotalay kiyay hain?". For me then, it was just south and north. He replied something junk, I recall. So, finally I reached a point, from where I had to walk, as the bus changed the route it normally used to take. So, I had to walk for 1 KM with 2 heavy suitcases on a completely dark road. I reached the office campus, and guess what, I was the first person to come from our batch and barring a few people from previous batch , who could not clear comprehensive exam , the whole campus was empty. It was a very huge campus, with most of the place utilized for greenery. I went to the FC (food court) which was almost empty. Tasting south Indian food was a very exciting thing at that time. I did not take any coupon, so after having my food, I went to express thanks to them for providing me such a nice food and they said, "sir, please pay for this coupon, Rs25". That was the day I realized that there are no free dinner in the outer world (had been a home boy till then).

Then I was shown my room and couldn’t believe what I saw, if you have seen a 5 star hotel room, it was a photocopy of the same . Big TV, AC, two well made bed, 3 lamps, shining floor, bathroom with bathtub, electric kettle. I was mesmerized, I went to take bath, but could not understand the working of the Switch and ended up having cold bath in the month of January. Then came to the room and got in the warm & cosy bed and started watching TV. Then got excited to see the whole campus and took the bicycle (was driving it after 4 years) and took a round of the whole campus. That day, I really fell in love with Infosys.

Well that was then , now the life has changed completely. I have personally changed drastically. Those who have not met me after college and see the new me, will be almost shocked. I have grown from a sukda(thin) guy to a motto(heavy) fellow. Personality-wise I have changed a lot, from a silent, insecure, quite introvert, non-confident guy to a almost opposite. I have groomed my communication skills, my way of thinking, my whole personality. I have grown, really. I have seen the management, the best practices of the company, the quarterly results and their rhetoric statement during their address to the employees, I have seen NRN (Nr Narayan Murthy) going and Nandan Nilekani taking over. I have seen the mega growth of IT (from recruiting some 100 employees per annum, to recreating almost around 15000 employees per annum). I look so old in Infosys, given my employee number is 19000 + and Infy has 50000 employees now. I have seen US, was there for 11 months, done driving here, met lot of american, see this capitalist country. I have seen a lot of world in these three years.

If I go down the memory lane, I think, I have taken birth again. I dont know, for how long I will stay in this company, for I don’t like to do the job and want to start my own business but it all requires money.

But, above anything, I have got enough strength (financially and mentally) to survive thought any circumstances in this world. I have gained enormous wisdom in these three years of professional world.

Today I will definitely raise a toast to this special occasion in my life.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to know that you have completed 3 years at Infy.You are now a 3 Year kid in this corportae world.You have long way to reach the highest door of this corporate world by learning the ropes of Corporate Ladder.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Reshmi Mitra said...

you really really like to write.. dont you :) anyways congratulations on your anniversary in the company. hope you enjoyed every bit of it.

11:17 PM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

even i dislike INFY being built in Mysore .... but for a diff reason ... i dont want any more Karnataka cities to be spoilt likt BLR.

I love Mysore , and the people of Mysore ... never seen more hospitable ppl

12:18 AM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Cheers !!

12:20 AM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

@kartavya : thanx for your warm compliments. yeah i have long long way to go...

@sweet_alien88 : You bet, I love to write, I always wished I become a writer, but I never cleared my english exams and never had any creative thoughts flowing.I hope , I get the best of myself , someday down the line. And thanx for your compliments.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

@deepa : there is something about your way of commenting. you never comment in a single comment box, any special reasons (just curious).Anyways, I loved your love for your state. Alas, this world is little too cruel and capitalistic to respect your feelings. And thanx for your wishes.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Well written, sire! And I went LOL @ that no-such-thing-as-a-free-dinner thingy!! :))

And congratulations for being able to live through the 3 years...

One more thing, you seem to be upset that you are not a writer and are instead in the software industry. Relax, man... there is still so much to write about :)

7:37 AM  
Blogger My ID not me said...

Congrats Dude,
3yrs in a single company is too long a time.. its been 8 months into my first job and i get restless every alternate week.

Perhaps U got all that u were looking for. May you also get kinda roommate u came across on net

Way to go! Cheers!

3:34 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

Congratulations! You are right, three years in a single company is really quite an achievement! :D

5:59 AM  
Blogger Shikha said...

Congrats:)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Congrats! And I do think there's nothing wrong with working long term in one company... for some reason, being ambitious is being equated to job-hopping these days....

10:23 PM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

@sudipta : thanx a ton for ur wishes. anyways enjoy your trip to europe.

@my id not me : yes dear, i am seeing freshers around. for then after six months boredom starts and they need a fresh set of ppl and company altogether.

@rita : thanx dear. i liked ur long black sily hairs (LOL !!)

@shika : thanx my dear :)

@casablanca : you are right, but the younger generation is becoming a little restless soon.i guess thats what our parents would be thinking about us too. imagine my dad working for a bank for 35 years. i really cant(imagine !!)

11:28 PM  
Blogger Vamsee said...

Congratulations Anil on your 3rd anniversary at Infosys!:)

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home