Saturday, July 29, 2006

Love Is All You Need ?

“All you need is love,
All you need is love,
Love is all you need …”


I was listening to this song the whole day and it just stuck me, what do I need ?

So below is what I felt :




I had had long thoughts about love marriage and I always wished to have one. But a question came to my mind. I want love marriage or just love. Is marriage being done for the social norm and all I wish is love. But then the practical self comes into focus and says that you cannot live just being in love, it has to lead to something, and that something is in majority of cases, marriage, or sometimes, live-ins. But then is marriage able to sustain love, because marriage is not love, its an arrangement, a compromise, an understanding for each other’s need. So, can marriage hamper love, or does it enhance it. I could not really give an answer to it, but most likely, most of us would say that it enhances love, as it gives a chance to let people be more closely and intimately bound and would allow them to understand the other person in many different situations, but on the other hand, it can kill the feeling of love, by bringing in the everyday trifles and diminishing the importance of each other to nothing more than another person, and the life becomes as usual, it maybe for other arranged marriage couples.

Another thought about love was, what we feel for other person, is it love, lust, infatuation or just the loss of companionship. If we meet someone everyday and talk with each other everything under sun and are comfortable with their nature, and if that person departs, we feel a loss and a very strong feeling of loosing something. Now, does this indicate the feeling of love or just the companionship? In fact I don’t even know the definition of love, but just trying to contemplate the different feelings which we have for the other person and which one resembles closely to love. Love at first sight as they say, is mostly lust at first sight, but there are instances when you see the other person and your body immediately behaves in a very weird manner. It starts to secrete hormones which give you a feel that you are in love, with that person. Now, this is just a lust or infatuation I do not know, but we experience these feeling very often in our life.


I have tried to find which the closest feeling to the feeling of love is and have felt that the feeling of companionship is the closest one. If you miss someone’s company, if you miss someone’s talk, someone’s touch (not the intimate one), I guess you love that person, or at least you are quite close to loving that person.

To me, love is not about having a girl friend and boasting about her, to my friends. Its not about calling her in the middle of the night and saying “I Love you”, or gifting her a huge bouquet of flowers on valentine day or trying to find in desperate attempts to find some gift for her on her birthday. To me love or companionship is quite simple, no frills arrangement, where I don’t need to emphasize that I love her, I don’t need to buy bouquet for her, just because its V-day or trying to find a present for her. If I feel like gifting something, I would do it on the day I get this feeling. To me, she will understand me and so will I. To me, looking into her eyes, holding her hand, walking on the beach, sipping a cup of tea in the lawn, is the kind of experience which will give me a more satisfactory feeling than some crazy shopping and buy a diamond necklace for her. To me, we should be friends, and friends with good amount of understanding. I am not in for some crazy energy relationship; I would appreciate a more settled and maybe mature relationship.

A friend of mine asked me causally, why do we say that somebody has “fallen” in love? Should we not rise in Love. Should we not be more mature and feeling better about ourselves now? I don’t know how this sentence became popular, but I guess what it meant is that one has to fall in the heart of other person, look deep down in that person to feel that person and maybe its what is called “falling”.

Sometimes, I feel that I love to be in love. Just the feeling of love is so lovely that I love it. Here, I do not need any other person; I just need solace and think about how it feels to be in love, to hold someone’s hand, to walk with someone, to look into somebody’s eyes and the feeling which I derive out of it, gives me so much pleasure and satisfaction. So, maybe I am in love with love.


I sometimes feel, why is that I never fell in love, or at least didn’t dive deep in love. I had infatuations, crushes but nothing like a feeling of love, a feeling when your other senses start behaving in a different fashion. When you smile, all alone with any reason, where you are hungry but do not really feel the hunger, where people talk to you, around you, but you do not feel their talks. You are in some other world, a world where only you and the person you are in love, exist. This feeling may sound childish or stupid but I guess this is the feeling when you fall in love, but this feeling is quite different from the feeling of a companionship, so I guess the feeling of love is the initial feeling towards other person. It might be even a funny feeling, but this feeling itself cannot sustain the relationship, because the feeling of love has high energy and as is the law, anything which is has high energy has to come back to the normal level, by releasing energy, either by exploding or by reducing the levels slowly, giving way to the maturity of the relationship. So, we can be in a feeling closer to love, by either being in love, with the high energy levels or we can seek a companion where the level of maturity is there. The first one is crazy, exciting but has less success rate, the second one is simple, no frills, but has a very high success rate.

I personally feel I would like to go in for the relationship of the companion, less exciting and more mature, but sometimes, my hormones drive me crazy when I see a beautiful lass and it makes me feel, I wish I was in love with that gal. I guess the mixture of lust, love and infatuation plays a great role when you feel something for the other person. I am confused and would have to think deeper to understand what I really want. Meanwhile, I will just take a walk in my apartment, feeling not love, but the fresh air.

14 Comments:

Blogger Pavithra said...

It was an excellent post !!
"Can marriage hamper love, or does it enhance it?".. I think, love grows in marriage. Many people feel that love ends in marriage..or soon after it. Real love lasts forever and grows everyday..may be you can say its a mixture of 70% friendship + 20% motherly affection + 5% infatuation + 5% lust.

12:10 PM  
Blogger starry said...

Beautiful post.started me thinking about it.I think in a marrieage there has to be some love just not the companionship and you learn to love each other every day. I like these lines a lot "To me, looking into her eyes, holding her hand, walking on the beach, sipping a cup of tea in the lawn, is the kind of experience which will give me a more satisfactory feeling. This is exactly how I feel.I dont want the other person buy me something because it is my birthday ect.but just do it because it feels good. You have it just right. You are going to make some one very happy one day.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I hope that walk refreshed ya Anil :)


**But a question came to my mind. I want love marriage or just love

All we need is love. Marriage is something ppl invented. It has now become tradition so it has become a necessity. Have u noticed there r alot of marriaged without love?

Keshi.

9:32 PM  
Blogger வித்யாசாகரன் (Vidyasakaran) said...

hmmm...
I don't want to be analytic in this subject. (well, I tried to be and failed)
Yes, all one needs is love. Only when one has it, or thinks so, that one goes for other things.
What am I doing here? Again analysing love?

Fall in love and go wherever it takes you! marriage, heaven or hell! One day I'd realise that it's love that has driven me, always. Love, of something or someone!

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love IS. That is all there is to know. Love is there in the absence of fear and confusion. Love abolishes all loneliness and doubt. Love is beyond romance and companionship, beyond the quiver from a touch, beyond gazing into the eyes of the object of one’s affection. Love is selfless yet can not be confined. Love exists for itself and is unconditioned by our concepts. It is beyond our infatuation, desires and fantasies. Rise to the heights of love within and dive into the ocean of all love. In doing so you will never be without love, married or unmarried or indeed in any circumstance in life. You will draw loving people towards you and draw out the loving nature of those who ordinarily do not express this aspect of themselves to you. If you have love you will have all things.

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Support statment that LOVE IS. And it doesnt carre what we thought before abt it - just taking us away!Love forever!
JJ

10:59 AM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

I guess its always better if one doesnt mix up blissful emotions as love with an intircate and often exhausting norm as marriage. Perhaps it has got soemthing to do with love being expressed best, when its free.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

Marriage is a bond and you are committed. In love how many commit these days??
Love can happen even after marriage and that love is easily understood when you can understand the other half.
Infactuation happens to all at any age no matter youa re married or unmarried. It is just a passing phase.
Love need not be buying gifts alone, its all about how you share, care and give the best to whom you love.

8:28 AM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Well .. it is all fine having a romantic concept of love n marriage .. but face reality

we are humans and when u love someone , u'll definetly have some expectations .. if u dont , u r not human ...

and all these things .. buying flowers etc varies from couple to couple ... for some couples , this may be a way to show they care etc .. and if so , who are we to say that is materialistic ? it is how they want their relationship to be .. so be it

1:35 AM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

marriage is a dampner .. but also a necessity for a moral living

love in marriage has to be cultivated .. but love in love is easy

1:37 AM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

Ofcourse its time for a new post!!
:)

2:48 AM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

Awwwww!!
Whatever happened???
:)

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear love is elusive ,it eludes till it breaks your heart.Later on you tend to recall it as an infatuation.We go round and round and round like a spinning top and there is no end to it.
The contract of marriage was something else i guess we liked the concept of love and attached it with the same to glorify it.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My God Anil ! Wat a thought ! We can discuss on this for hrs next time we meet :)
Ask me,who knows better !
Love , Marriage ...... am still entangled in all this and confused.
Really difficult - only love or love marriage.Love ends in marriage - when we have nasty fights.Love begins with marriage after 1 second -- 1 day - when we make up :)
U can neither live with it nor live without it.

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home